lundi 3 novembre 2008

I Can Only Imagine


One of my favorite songs is "I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me. I bought the CD in New Jersey while we were on HMA in New Jersey in 2004 and received word that my lifelong friend Patty had succumbed to her battle with cancer that November. I did a daylong drive from North Jersey to Dayton, Ohio for her funeral and listened to this song over and over in the car and let it permeate my being.

When my mother passed away a year ago yesterday, I suggested that it be played at her memorial service in Colorado and it did.

I've had a little insomnia tonight, so I got up and started putting in titles in YouTube and found "I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me. The video is well done and helps one imagine what life will be like again in heaven when we're with our loved ones who have passed away.

One of my favorite memories with my other kids was taking late night shifts when they were babies. We would walk around the apartment while I would rock them on my shoulder. For 2 of their births, I had the good fortune of having the 2002 and 2006 Winter Olympics right then, so we would watch the Olympics.

I was looking forward to late night shifts with Baby Jess. Sadly, this apparently wasn't meant to be.

It was strange in the hospital after hear lifeless body had been delivered to be able to hold her body, rock her, and tell her things some father/daughter activities that I was looking forward to, but wouldn't be able to do. I was looking forward to her joining the three others in creating a ruckus and sitting all 4 together on the sofa watching DVDs.

I was looking forward to her joining a new army of young children who would follow Jesus in new ways and start doing ministry even from the crib. Historically in France several centuries ago, there was a movement in the Cevennes region in the south where babies and toddlers were speaking God's words. While I don't know if God would use her in this particular manner, I did feel like she would have particular good works to accomplish on this earth and people to touch.

For some reason, she was meant to get promoted to the heavenly army immediately. This is one of those mysteries that I don't understand.

"I Can Only Imagine"

I can only imagine
What it will be like
When I walk
By your side

I can only imagine
What my eyes will see
When your face
Is before me
I can only imagine

[Chorus:]
Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine

I can only imagine
When that day comes
And I find myself
Standing in the Son

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever
Forever worship You
I can only imagine

[Chorus]

I can only imagine [x2]

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever, forever worship you

4 commentaires:

Yori Taylor a dit…

Al & Nicole,
Our Lydia women prayer group prayed for you last night. Even though the distance will not allow us to be with you on Saturday, know that we will in thought and prayers. Much love in our Lord Jesus. Yori & David

Unknown a dit…

Much love to you and your family. May the love of Christ bear you up and hold you near.

Up Close a dit…

Hello Al and Nicole and the Kids,
I dont know what say though b/c I never had any kids yet. But, I'm pretty sure the feeling of grief and joy is Indescribable. May God's comfort be felt and God's joy and strength fill you and your family. God bless!

Andrew and Carmel Suarez

Bruce Hunt a dit…

Kelly and I are holding you n our prayers. We feel your grief and will continue to pray for you guys. We love you.