mardi 4 novembre 2008

The Body of Christ

It's 6:36 a.m. and all is quiet on the ranch, at least for the time being. I feel asleep in front of the TV around 9:00 p.m. and basically slept through. Sometime around 11:00 p.m., I put the extra supper food in the fridge, took out my contact lenses, and recall my wife going to sleep on the other sofa, where she sleeps now. I don't think any of our kids have been up since at least 11:00 p.m.. It's good that everyone had a good sleep.

Certainly I would never wish tragedy on anyone, including ourselves. However, one benefit of this whole thing is feeling the support of the local and global Body of Christ in a way that I never have before. This itself has been overwhelming and often brought tears to read and hear kind words of affection and consolation, as well as receive acts of kindness and service.

Yesterday my wife's mother arrived in Paris after nearly 36 hours of flying on 4 different flights from Rapid City to Denver to Chicago to London to Paris. She has some health challenges, so this kind of flight is not easy for her. But my wife's and children's eyes lit up to see Grandma Mary again.

Our friends Fadma, Tricia, and Liz have been especially helpful in a hands on way in encouraging my wife, playing with our kids, and doing little things that need to be done, like vacuuming, washing dishes, and making beds. These are godly and beautiful women whom we all love and whom I hope some godly single men discover and marry sometime.

Our compatriot Randy is bringing lasagna over for lunch. Papy Alain was with us Sunday and brought an apple tarte, which we finally got to eating yesterday. It's funny how food becomes secondary to my wife and me. However, our kids bring us back to reality, as they still need to eat (as do we).

We went back to the Diaconesses Hospital yesterday to discuss some of the practical details, like what to do with the body, as well as how to discuss this with our children. This hospital was begun as a work of a Protestant association. It still has Protestant nuns who live on sight. Every Sunday, they go around in the maternity ward and sing songs to the families.

While meeting with Sister Jacaba (the chaplain of the sisters) and Mme. Elizabeth (head of services at the maternity), I appreciated their kindness and gentleness. At the Diaconesses, spiritually accompanying those who want it is part of the overall services and health care. When Nicole was alone for several hours on Saturday after Baby Jessica was delivered and I had to get home, these women hugged her and helped give hope. I don't think that it would have been the same at a normal hospital in France. Sister Jacaba will be able to help my wife and I and our kids in the future as well as we deal with this tragedy.

The memorial "celebration" service is shaping up. Our creative friends Pierre Nicolas and Marie will be helping with the music. Our friend and colleague Steve will help with the overall leading of the service. We haven't formally announced the service, but a number of friends are already planning on coming as well.

My father arrives in a few hours and I'll get him at the airport.

Tomorrow our kids start back to school. My wife is dreading having to explain to parents of our kids what happened. Pray for strength, wisdom, and grace in handling this. I expect that in some of our friend's desires to respond, they might say some clumsy things that we could take wrong. Pray that we'll be able to invite the right ones to the service on Saturday.

I've appreciated the support of our organization throughout this. Scott (the U.S. director), John (our France regional director), and Jim (our U.S. advisor), as well as others, have been very supportive. Our Paris colleagues Steve, Todd & Jenny also have been helping let others know what has happened.

I think today we'll finally send a formal e-announcement out.

2 commentaires:

Scott a dit…

Al and Nicole and kids- I don't think we've met before, I'm Vicki McCracken, an I.T. missionary in Athens. So, we're kind-of neighbors! I just read through your blog. Al, what a beautiful legacy these words will be in the years to come; a way to look back and see God's faithfulness in the dark, and to remember the honest grief and emotion, but peace, too, that surrounded Jessica's short life. I was struck by the words that "God used children and babies to speak His words in France in the past." In ways we don't understand, I believe that God is already using Jessica and will continue to do so. I know, you'd rather be holding her right now and watching Him work in a different way. Please know that we are praying for you- I cried and prayed through your blog and will continue to pray. Hugs to each one of you. May you know His comfort and rest. Blessings, Vicki

Anonyme a dit…

Feria Family,
from your friends PJ (and Don) Bahr in Rapid City.....

In 1996 our daughter went to the hospital to have labor induced (she was at term) and there was no heartbeat. After 36 hours of excruciatingly painful labor, she delivered Alison Jo. Stillborn.
Then....
On Aug. 15, 2005 we lost our precious grandson Andrew. He was 3 weeks old and died a SIDS death.
....
One year later, on Aug. 15, 2006, I came home from an early morning walk to do devotions at my kitchen table. There was such a dark cloud enveloping me that I could hardly think. I said, "Lord, how can I even pray this morning, my heart is so heavy and I am so confused." After awhile I opened my bible and He led me to Prov. 25:22b ... it is the Glory of God to conceal a matter.....
I believe the bible is true. It says God is good and that He loves us. So I chose to believe that too!! I knew then, that I had to just trust Him.... trust that it is to HIS glory to conceal matters in life, and just trust in His Word and what it says.
.............
I cried and cried that morning as I wrote in my prayer journal. I asked Him to show me things that were blessings since Andrew's death and I wrote 2 1/2 pages in my prayer journal!!!
..............
I share this in hope of giving you some inkling of encouragement today.
....................
Thank you for letting us know of this tragic loss, in order that we may pray for all of you (and for Precious Grandma Mary too!!). I'm so glad Mary is able to be there with you, Nicole. What a comfort and blessed presence she will give. Her smile lights up a room.
............
We are praying here in South Dakota for your family.
...............
We care very deeply and ask God to comfort you, in the compassion, love and wisdom that only He knows how to comfort with.
LOVE, sincerely, PJ and Don Bahr