samedi 27 décembre 2008

Stuck in the elevator & reflections in 2008

This morning I got in the elevator outside our apartment to walk Chester, the dog we're watching for 2 weeks. Before leaving the apartment, I nearly took my cell phone. But I thought that it would be unnecessary to do this, as I planned just to go outside for a couple of minutes to let Chester relieve himself. However, once the elevator door closed, it didn't move. After a few seconds, I realized that I was stuck in the elevator.

This is the 3rd time that I've been stuck in an elevator in 15 years in France. The first two times, I was with claustrophobic people who hyperventilated. It was also in the summer, so it was warm. This time, it was a lot calmer & cooler in the elevator.

A woman in our building heard me push the alarm button or pound on the door. She called the guardian, who releasedus from the elevator after 15-20 minutes.

2008 has been full of surprises. Looking back over the years, 2008 hasn't been the happiest of years. It's had more than more turbulence than most years.

The biggest one was the death of our daughter Jessica sometime during the 2 days before November 1. Nearly 2 months later, our whole family is in different places in dealing with this event. This has made for a different Christmas than we've ever had.

Ministry-wise there has been lots of movement as well, with the departure of one major ministry colleague. Again, this was a reminder that people come and people go in ministry.

Family-wise, it's been busy, with 3 kids now in 2 different schools. Free time is something that we don't have much of at this stage.

Who knows what 2009 will bring?

Aucun commentaire: