Our kids all returned to school today after our week away in Alsace. Our son hesitated a little about returning to his school this morning, but had a big smile on his face at lunch time and after school. He also commented that he behaved calmly in music class today (as he and 3 others got disciplined 3 weeks ago for not behaving properly in music class).
Tonight was the annual Christmas program at our daughters' school. We arrived late, as we thought it began at 6:30 p.m. instead of 6:00 p.m. But this was fine, as it was close to the same program that was put on 3 years ago.
I was sad about the program, as it was about winter and snowmen and Santa Claus. Because of the secular and pluralistic society that our public school is in, there was no mention about Jesus. This was our 4th Christmas program and I find them boring, although the kids like them (and they are primarily for the kids). I observed our youngest daughter (one of the 4 youngest kids in the school) sitting in the lap of the director during a good part of the program.
However, I did observe that we are definitely part of the community at this preschool/kindergarten. I didn't realize how many of the parents, teachers, helpers, and students (current and alumni) that we know until tonight. My favorite part of the program was the "fellowship" time afterwards. I met the mother and grandmother of a girl who was in our son's class last year and now is in our elder daughter's class this year. They are formerly from Zaire (or whatever the country is currently called).
We started spreading the word about the American cookie events that we will do during the Christmas break. I think that we'll need to do at least 2 (and possibly 3). One of the parents mentioned that today she had thought about the party that she was in last year.
Our daughter got a birthday invitation for January from a classmae whose mother is from Niger Republic (Africa) and father is French.
My wife had a visit with the doctor who has overseen her 4 pregnancies. He mentioned that he was "bouleversé" ("knocked over") when he heard about Jessica's death and that he feels like part of our family. I hadn't been aware of the attachment that he felt toward us. This is another of the connections that we have been blessed with over the years.
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire