lundi 22 février 2010

3 different forms of "church" in Paris

Yesterday I participated in 3 different meetings which met in different places & looked very different from each other. Despite the diversity, I would call each of them "church" in the sense that there were a number of different Christ-followers gathered together for specific Kingdom of God purposes.

Yesterday morning we went to our weekly worship service at our Paris church home. We met in a building that dates back to the early 17th century. It was the first Sunday in Advent & we had a more traditional Reformed Church liturgy. We had songs accompanied by piano in the "sanctuary" of the church. Our pastor preached a 15 minute sermon (his usual length) and we had communion afterwards. My 3 kids attended a children's church program during a good part of the service.

I went to a 3:00 p.m. meeting of the steering team of a monthly gathering called VERTICALE. We met in a basement room that appeared to be carved out of stone. We prayed & sought the Lord's guidance about the next steps of VERTICALE & discussed some of the possibilities.

Afterwards I went to a "concert" listed to start at 7:00 p.m. It was called "Beautiful Mess" and held in an art space that was rented. I received a Facebook invitation to it. The event was advertised as the following:

Une soirée de croisements – de lumière et de son, de vidéo et de rock, de dj et d’art, de danse et de chants, de silence et de bruit. Trois genres de musique – rock, électronique, et classique, tissés ensemble avec de la vidéo et de l’art afin de raconter une histoire, notre histoire.

(My translation into English). An evening of crossings - of light & sound, of video & rock, of dance & songs, of silence & noise. 3 genres of music - rock, electronic & classical, weaved together with video & art in order to tell a history, our history.


It was a terrific evening of quality music with lots of life, joy & relationships. People danced during the concert as they wanted to. Afterwards there were refreshments. I was able to see some friends from a newer church plant who organized the evening. There were approximately half Christ-followers and the other half a mix of their contacts. It was their first such attempt at this type of event.

While talking with the pastor, I met a tall young woman whom I had seen dancing up front during the concert. Afterwards I learned that she was a nominal Muz & had been asking some serious questions about the Xian faith at different times. Only God knows her heart, but it seems like she's headed in a positive direction in her spiritual journey.

I loved the event!!! I think they were right on in doing this type of bridge evening where believers & outsiders can be together & enjoy an event in a neutral setting. This is where my heart is. This is what churches should be doing, whatever the form might be for different communities.

1 commentaire:

Dave a dit…

Great blog – thank you for sharing more about the spiritual climate and activities in France.

I just wanted to alert your readers to a prayer movement that’s been going on for the past dozen years or so led by the French ministry Objectif France.

For the past three years, the campaign Pray for France (in English) has been translating their 21-day prayer guide with current prayer topics for each day. Pray for France allows English speakers to pray alongside their French brothers and sisters during the three weeks before Easter and it’s FREE for those who visit the website www.PrayforFrance.org and register… All the information is on the site…!