On Monday night I attended the monthly gathering for artists. I really enjoy these gatherings, as it's a good time to check in monthly with some artist friends whom I wouldn't necessarily get to see otherwise. I collected the money this time, which definitely allowed me to speak with everyone who came.
Of all the different types of artists in Paris, I probably have my most contact with musicians. I don't claim to be a musician. I've never ever taken a music lesson. The math side of me allowed to figure out some of the notes & timings as an elementary student. I've sung in several music groups, even though I don't really read music. I do have a musically gifted wife who made All State choir in her native state as a high school student. My kids all have picked up different aspects of music and enjoy singing. I enjoy music & know a lot of songs from the 70s & 80s (which I'm trying to introduce to my kids).
Thus, I don't write this as a musician, but rather as an outsider who is around musicians.
Each month, we try to have an artist share about his work and/or journey. It's generally a sharing among peers, rather than one artists trying to impress another.
The artist who shared is the young man who helps lead the bi-monthly jazz nights at our arts center. He's a gifted on the guitar, as well as in teaching & composing.
Someone asked him what were his greatest challenges as a musician. He has a call to do "secular music," although he has played in a worship band too. One challenge he said was with the lifestyle that often goes along with professional, non-believing musicians. It is important to try to fit in with the music groups he plays in. However, he is sometimes viewed like a martian for not going along with certain practices that often go with being a musician.
I have great respect for his trying to live with integrity, especially when others aren't. I think there is a huge need for musicians and other artists to work primarily in the "secular," rather than working in churches and/or Christian music.
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire