Isaiah is often quoted during Advent season. One of my favorite texts in Isaiah is the one that prophetically talks about Jesus and His different roles during his earthly life: "Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" (9:6).
One of my favorite roles in my work is doing some informal consulting. Some of this is related to my 16 years in France. Other times, the opportunity to counsel & encourage comes just from being in relationship with someone. Technological advances make informal counseling & mentoring possible even from halfway around the world.
I woke up early this morning and came to the computer to do some work. I ended up having an IM conversation via Facebook with a former classmate of mine from 25 years ago. During the last month, we had some previous IM discussions after some marital challenges of his. We literally have not seen each other face to face since then, and only got back in contact in the last 1-2 months. Today he was doing much better, although we know that marraige is work and he needs to keep making progress. But it's been nice getting to accompany him, albeit through Facebook. But he's been seeking me out, rather than vice versa.
Later on today I got a phone call from a colleague living in another part of France. He's been having some relational challenges with the French pastor he's been working with. So I was able to lend a listening ear. I've been in similar situations in the past, so I could give some empathy and perspective.
Both these discussions were reminders of God using our previous & past struggles to teach us in order that we can help others. Part of why we go through certain trials is so that we can eventually help others go through similar ones.
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire