mardi 23 octobre 2007

The Star Academy's 7th edition: Session 1

I had started to lose hope that the Star Academy would be on this season. During the last few years, it has become my favorite French program. In recent years, it has been broadcast live on Friday evenings from September until just before Christmas. As mid-October hit, I thought that maybe this year would be a year off of Star Ac.

But tonight it started up again. Woo hoo!

One reason why I love Star Ac is because it provides the opportunity for young French artists to develop their skills, become known, and hopefully start a career. It also helps me learn songs that young French people are listening to. Many of these songs are of Anglo-Saxon origin, which makes me think that there is really no pure "French style" of music. This year's "godmothers" of Star Ac are Australian Kyle Minogue and Quebecois Céline Dion.

I can't believe how talented this new class of 17 already is. Because of MySpace and similar sites, pretty much anyone can post their own music videos on the Internet their own music. Over half of this new class is 18 or younger. Yet they nearly all play the guitar and other instruments. Being able to sing is obligatory to get this far. Several of this new class has already indicated some family troubles growing up.

It struck me tonight how different my lifestyle is different than some of them. One 17 year old basically sleeps during the day and does her music at night. I'm not sure how much opportunity I will have to walk across the room to people like her. Perhaps attending the monthly jazz nights will help me expand in this area. Or perhaps my role will be to encourage those who are able to reach this group.

One of my hopes is to see God move mightily in touching this young generation of Parisien artists.

Aucun commentaire: