mardi 1 mars 2011

Interesting conversations in the grocery check out line

Tonight after supper I went grocery shopping. I went to my usual store, Safeway. They had some good sales on frozen foods, so I spent more than was originally planned. I went out to the only checkout line and was greeting by a "How are you?" from the cashier.

Her friendly manner and my large quantity of groceries allowed for some conversation. She had a tatoo on her hand, which was moving quickly as she was putting my groceries through the scanner. I asked her about it and she said it the tattoo was of a flower and that it would soon be coming off. She said it would be painful & would leave a scar afterwards.

After loading my groceries into the car & driving to Target, I realized that I had left a carton of 16 water bottles at the bottom of it. It's dark at night, so you can't see everything at the bottom of your cart. I finished my Target business, then sped off to Safeway. Fortunately, the water was still on the cart, which was still where I had left it.

When I went to checkout again, I told her my story & she said, "Thank the Lord" or something similar. I asked her if she was a believer & she said that the believed in a combination of Christianity & Buddhism. This led to further discussion during which she said that "When I become an adult, I would like to run a "Re*ki" center in my home. She said that she had done the training in Japan to become a Re*ki master. She likes being in Colorado, as people here are "open-minded."

This was a good reminder that spiritual conversations often take place at unexpected times & often beginning with small talk.

Aucun commentaire: