The Mens World Cup of Football (Soccer) 2010 opened up in South Africa on Friday.
This event held every 4 years is one of my favorite sports activities. Soccer (known as "football" in most of the world outside the U.S.) is the most popular sport in the world (although basketball is growing in its popularity). In many countries, business activities slow down for a month so that workers can watch the matches. Even the preliminary matches during the first couple of weeks are usually good, no matter who is playing.
I'm thrilled that an African nation is hosting this tournament. Hopefully South Africa and all of Africa are encouraged by a successful & safe tournament. It's amazing to think of all the changes in South Africa during the last 20 years.
I was disappointed in France's 0-0 tie with Uraguay. I don't like the leadership style of France's current coach & thought that he should have been replaced 2 years ago. He started a strange lineup on Friday that was missing Thierry Henry (a definite game player who puts the ball in the goal) and Florent Malouda. They were put in for the last 15 minutes of regulation time & France played much better. But had they been in from the beginning, I think that France would have gotten at least 1 goal.
Last night the U.S. tied England 1-1. England was favored, so a tie isn't too bad. The U.S. played much better than I had expected. A good number of their players are on club teams in England, which means they are getting some better competition on a daily basis, versus playing only in the U.S.
A friend sent me a link to a music video on the resurr*ection done by a ch&rch in Budapest, Hungary. Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5dSIL358NM I love the celebration & joy I see in it. It looks like part of an opening ceremony to a sporting event like the Olympics.
It's a good reminder that, while crowds will celebrate the victories of their national teams in the World Cup, the greatest event to celebrate is the resurr*ection of Chr*st. This is a historic event with implications even today & for eternity. It's something that people from all nations can celebrate, both communally, as well as individually.
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire