dimanche 6 juin 2010

Transitions

In general, I like change. I get bored if everything stays the same. When we go to a restaurant, I often will order something new, just to try something different. If it's not that great, like the cow's tail that I ordered 3 weeks ago, then it's not a great loss. But if it's great, then it's a new discovery.

However, major changes do bring extra stress & fatigue, even if the change is an exciting one. When we had our first child over 8 years ago, it was all new and we were really tired. But now we can't imagine life without our children. I have been in a transformation process as a person through the change of adding children into our home. This process continues on as our children grow and change themselves.

Twelve years ago, we returned to the U.S. for what we thought would be 1 year of graduate school for my wife. We also changed agencies as well to our current one. We had just been married 1 year, which had been a huge change for us too. We moved to a location new to my wife, but that I had known as a single for 2 years. We began attending a new church and a new young marrieds adult Bible fellowship. We ended up extending that planned 1 year into 2 years and both did M.A.s.

A year ago at this time, our lives seemed pretty stable here in Paris. But a conversation with a friend & colleague in a Paris cafe last October has begun a process of change that now feels like it's moving at breakneck speed. While it was just my wife & me 12 years ago, there now are 3 children involved as well.

Last November, a wise former professor & now friend gave some wise advice. I shared about this possible transition when it was just in the early stages of discussion. He said, "Don't leave something, but rather move into something."

I've thought about this over the past few months. This probable new transition isn't primarily due to wanting to leave our current organization or location or ministry. It rather is wanting to pursue an opportunity that continues to grow in excitement & possibility for us. However, moving into this "new thing" would necessitate some changes in our priorities & ministry allegiances.

As followers of Chr*st, we should be changing & becoming more conformed to His image and agenda. As we do this and follow His path for us, we will need some changes in our lives. Some of these will be relatively minor in terms of the overall repercussions in our lives, while others will be major.

We hope to receive further official news later this week. We'll advise further here about the details.

Aucun commentaire: