lundi 28 septembre 2009

Out of Balance

Yesterday I heard a great sermon by our pastor. Actually, I found the whole service to be good. We've only been at this church since Easter, although I've known of it for a number of years. The Sunday morning format could be labelled "traditional" in style and reminds me of the Presbyterian church that I was raised in. The music is largely hymns and accompanied by a piano & organ. Some of the words are very old, but with tunes that are jazzed up a little. But I wouldn't call the style "comtemporary," at least as how "contemporary" is used to define music styles anywhere from 1960 to early 2000. However, some of the music has some gospel style to it. I've been part of a number of churches during the last 25 years that I really enjoyed the newer worship songs of people like Graham Kendrick, Matt Redman, Brian Doerksen, Chris Tomlin, Darlene Tscheche (sp), etc., as well as some Francophone groups like Flamme and EXO. But I'm ok again being in churches that aren't singing the newest songs that are out there.

I'm not bothered by written & sung creeds, as I grew up saying the Apostles Creed and the Lord's Prayer every Sunday morning. I liked that part of the Anglican style when we were part of St. Michael's in the 1990s.

Anyway, yesterday's readings from Psalm 116 and Romans 14:4-9 went well together. I like how Psalm 116 talks about blessings of the children of the children of people who are faithful to God, as I've lived that personally. This psalm also talks about how the deaths of Christ followers are precious to God. For example, I and my children are the beneficiaries of the faithful & steady walk of my mother. She wasn't fancy or glitzy, but her mind and life were very solidly rooted in the Scriptures.

Pastor Gilles sermon was about our need to be "Son-centered." He referred the the Copernican revolution when it was discovered that the earth revolved around the sun, rather than the sun around the earth. He mentioned the Oedipus complex around age 3 when a child needs to learn that the world doesn't revolve around his/her needs. Throughout all the stages of life, a person needs to be reminded of this.

Likewise, throughout our lifetime, we need to be reminded this as well. Before coming to faith in Christ, we need to realize through the insight of the Holy Spirit that we need to revolve around God. But even after conversion, we still need to remember that the Christian life isn't primarily about havng my needs or desires met. Many Christians today forget this and still are primarily focused around themselves. We practically are living for ourselves, rather than for Christ. Unfortunately, many churches are like this as well.

I like how our new church is focusing on outreach this year, principally to our neighbors and people around us (rather than a mass outreach). Gilles asked the question if we are shining to those around us. That is something that we need to be thinking about.

If we're not focusing on Christ and how to shine for Him, then we're out of balance.

Aucun commentaire: