lundi 2 mars 2009

Being a witness in the 21st century

I found the following quote on the Facebook page of Glenn, my current newest friend on Facebook. It summarizes how I have felt for many years now about how to "do evangelism" in the 21st century. In "Walking on Water," Madeleine L'Engle writes:

"We draw people to Christ not by loudly discrediting what they believe, by telling them how wrong they are and how right we are, but by showing them a light that is so lovely that they want with all their hearts to know the source of it."

Certainly there is a time for words and a verbally clear witness. But I think that often people aren't ready to receive a verbal testimony of what we believe until they smell the fragrance of Christ on us and see His good deeds coming out of our lives. This is probably linked to the parable of the Good Samaritan, as just being a good and compassionate neighbor speaks powerfully.

I just got back in Facebook contact with one of my old H.S. teachers. In his status yesterday, he wrote: "...is going to church; so much to be thankful for." This man was always one of the most popular teachers each year. His classes were interesting and his manner was kind. However, if I were to wager on it now, I would bet that he is a follower of Jesus. Thinking back now, he just has the aroma of a Christian, even without ever saying it in class.

My Dale Carnegie teacher was like that too. Lloyd did share about it briefly on the last seance of the class, just before Christmas. Again, he was kind, respectful, enthusiastic, and excellent at what he did.

I think that many people are tired of religious rhetoric. What they want to see is the fruit of the Spirit born out in people's lives.

Aucun commentaire: