lundi 2 mars 2009

Artists' evening

Last night (Monday) I attended the 2nd in a series of monthly meetings for Christians who are artists or involved in creative professions. It began at 7:30, but I arrived late (around 8:10), as I had to take my son to his weekly swim lesson. It was fun to arrive and see a long table with 18 other people, all of whom I recognized. I live a busy life right now and it's hard to find time to get together with friends, so last night was a great opp to see many friends whom I would have loved to have seen, but didn't have time to arrange meeting up with.

We had a tasty meal of salad, lasagna, bread, and a dessert of vanilla ice cream and fruit. Arriving late, I sat at the end of the table. Directly to my left was John (musician/composer/singer/choir leader), then Alice (creator of perfumes), Olivier (film producer), Benoit (film producer), Aurelie (interior designer), Jaime (dancer), Agnes (singer/composer/musician), and Bernard (painter). Directly to my right was Mary (musician), then Jean (guitarist), Jean (graphic artist), my good friends Charles (musician/composer/choir director) and Magali, Christelle (concert organizer/artist manager), Jean-Luc (pastor/musician) and Nadege (musician). Steve led the event and Miki & Stephanie helped behind the scenes with dishes and food service.

Steve had someone read a biblical text out loud. I think it was Psalm 19, but I was in the kitchen for the start of the reading. This led into a fascinating discussion about creativity and art. As always, I love watching and hearing artists of different disciplines interact on these sorts of issues. I appreciated the perspective of Bernard (who looks like my former Wheaton advisor Lyle Dorsett), who was our senior member last night and who has been a painter for many decades now, as well as a committed Christian.

The majority of the artists present to not do what some call "Christian art" (i.e., art around a specific Christian theme or for a Christian organization). Yet they obviously have been given specific artistic gifts. Bernard mentioned how we all carry a fragrance about us which impacts people through how we treat them. Even if we are singing songs or creating graphic designs not specifically Christian, our faith and worldview can shine through.

It was mentioned that in many evangelical churches, art was seen as (1) something done as part of the worship or (2) something for evangelism. Thus, art and artists were valued for utilitarian purposes, rather than just for what it is and who they are. Christian artists who didn't fit into these often weren't seen as being legitimate.

Another point that struck me was that many Christians who are artists have a hard time finding their place in the established church. For this reason, many of them are not in a local church. Helping right this situation probably involves (1) helping local churches be more sensitive and understanding of the call of artists, (2) creating some new churches that have this sensitivity and welcoming of artists in their DNA, (3) being bridge people between churches and these artists and (4) the development of this monthly Monday evening gathering.

I'm thankful for my artist friends. While I know I have some creative gifts, I'm not trying to earn my living through my art. But I value them. I'm thankful for my creative and artistically-wired wife, as well as for the artistic interest I'm seeing in my children.

Aucun commentaire: