vendredi 28 mai 2010

Being an advocate for artists

In "The T@ngible Kingdom," M@tt Sm@y and Hugh H@lter talk about the power of being advocates for people. One prime example is Jesus defending the woman caught in adultery from the proud & legalistic Pharisees. Jesus knelt down next to her.

Sometimes I'm puzzled about why God has led a basically non-artist like me to work with an arts ministry. It would make more sense in some ways to have me be more artistic in order to better fit in.

However, I believe that one reason that God has placed me here is to be an advocate for artists, both those who share my faith, as well as others who don't. Because I'm more left brained, I have gained somewhat of an understand of artists from an analytical point of view. This allows me to sometimes help them by using my different manner of thinking & processing. It allows me to try to defend & explain them to those who are more analytical like myself, but not necessarily sympathetic to the traditionally right brained artist.

While walking home from the tax office today, I ran into a friend who is a singer. She's also a mom of 2 young children. I asked her if was doing any concerts now and she was able to explain some of her current projects. One tough thing for less-known musicians trying to make a living from their art is that they not only must do music (which they usually enjoy), but also do their own marketing & trying to brush up contacts and meetings. From what I've observed & heard from others, this can be a precarious life.

I was able to encourage her a little bit by saying how I appreciated her efforts to use her musical gifts to try to help people. She mentioned how it's important to feed herself, so that she then can feed herself artistically.

She's not yet a Christ-follower, but does have a good heart & is trying her best. Many of our "outsider" friends in Paris are like this. If there would be ways in the future to pool efforts & bring some Christ-followers into the mix as well, I think that we would see some positive movement in many lives.

Last night we had a very full house for a few hours during an opening night exhibit accompanied by a quartet of instrumentalists. I was happy to think how my work with publicity probably helped draw some of our audience in. This was another way that I'm able to be an advocate for them.

May our good works toward musicians and other artists shine before them & the world so that they may see these good works of advocacy and glorify their Father in heaven.


Aucun commentaire: