This morning my 5 year old daughter woke up early and came into the office where I was looking at e-mails. She. requested to see her baby photos, so we started going through digital photos of all 3 children as babies. It was fun to see all of them as babies and remark how quickly they are growing up.
Earlier this morning, I had some quiet time in which I was praying for my family. I am truly blessed to have a wife and 3 children in this world. It was fun to sit next to my daughter and just look at photos.
A couple weeks ago, my wife asked me if I had a bucket list. It took me awhile to think about this. I realized that I really don't have one. One reason is that I've already gotten to do some things that many dream off, like living in Paris, doing studies in the U.S. and France that I've wanted to, being married to a wonderful woman, being a father, getting to do a career for 20 years that I've wanted to do since I was 20, travelling to fun places in the U.S. and around the world, etc. While I've never been wealthy, I've never lacked for anything really or even gone without a meal due to financial reasons or had to sleep on the street.
With my mother's passing in 2007 and my daughter Jessica's passing this past November, I've been reminded that this world is not all there is. Part of the reason why some people go after accomplishing a bucket list is because they think that this world is all there is. When I get a chance to do dream things, like visiting the Philippines, I try to do so. But I'm not really torn up if I don't get to do something, as this world isn't all there is.
Getting to spend time with my wife and children is a daily blessing that I sometimes have taken for granted. I'm blessed for these gifts and sometimes feel sad for those who don't get to experience these blessings (if they want them). We know a number of quality singles who would love to be married and have children, but haven't had the opportunity yet. Or some couples who want children, but haven't been able to conceive or adopt.
God wants us to learn contentment in all circumstances. Part of contentment is thankfulness for whatever blessings and stuff that we might have. Even marriage and family is not a possession, in the sense that spouses, children, grandchildren, parents, and grandparents will eventually pass away in this world. But while we have them, we should enjoy and bless them in big and small ways.
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire