The Greek philosopher Heraclitus said, "The only thing constant about life is change itself" and "You can't step into the same river twice." Certainly change is part of life. At the beginning of this 21st century, change probably takes place at a faster rate than ever before.
I personally like change, when it comes at a reasonable dose. I tend to be an early adapter, especially when something new appears to be more effective.
However, changes in personnel can be harder to accept. In the nature of my ministry work, change in projects and colleagues are inevitable. Just in the last 10 years, I think that I've had 3 different Europe directors, as well as 3 different financial coordinators, and 3 different U.S. advisors whom I've had to report to.
Yesterday we had an important leadership team meeting of an arts ministry that I'm part of. We learned a key player is leaving France to return to the U.S. this fall. The reasons for the move all make sense and seem right. However, it will mean a huge transition in all ways.
Over the past 2 decades overseas, I've weathered lots of transitions in ministries and personnel. Some have been positively stretching and helped me see God's power to make me stronger and capable for whatever task He places me in. But there have been points in the midst of these times where running away seemed appealing.
To add to Heraclitus' famous quote, God is another thing (or Person) who doesn't change. He is a solid Rock upon whom I can trust for the past, the present, and the future. He's not surprised by my colleague's decision.
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire